Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Waiting for BMT part 1

If you're waiting for a waiver or you're in DEP waiting to ship out, you should spend some time learning a few key things to get ready for BMT. I highly recommend picking up a copy of "The Airman's Guide" and also High Speed Training Cards to help study and prepare for Air Force life.



The company that makes the training cards is veteran-owned and operated, so not only are you studying for BMT and preparing yourself better, but you are also supporting an Air Force veteran. Win-win! You can purchase these at High Speed Training Cards  I *just* bought mine and they shipped a couple days ago but I am very excited to start studying with them! 


This book has SO much info that you need to know; Airman's Creed, what uniforms you need for different occasions, explaining military benefits, rank charts, pay charts..... seriously, this has it all. I highly recommend picking up a copy of this, I STILL reference this from time to time and my husband has been in for 3 years. I bought it as a gift for my husband when he graduated BMT but I wish I had bought it for him before he left. You can buy it on Amazon Here.

Core Values 

Integrity First
Service before Self
Excellence in all We do

Airman's Creed 

You will have to recite this word-for-word on command, so learn it now. It's pretty simple to memorize but it is one less thing you have to worry about at BMT.


Reporting Statement 

Every time you address an MTI or other personnel at BMT, you will need to use your reporting statement. 

Sir/Ma'am, Trainee ____ reports as ordered.

Don't be the poor sod that uses a "sir sandwhich". You know in movies how cadets and trainees say "Sir, Blah blah blah, Sir!!!!". No, that is wrong. Don't do it. Your MTI is going to have a field day with you if you do. I may not have been to BMT yet, but my husband has, as have many of my close friends. The stories they have about MTI's and the "special attention" they give to people is priceless but also not so funny when it's happening to you!

Rank Structure of Enlisted and Officers 

Take some time and memorize ranks. Again, one less thing to worry about at BMT and fairly simple. Know the grade (E-1), abbrev. (AB), full name (Airman Basic), and the insignia. 

For Officer ranks, remember: One  gold bar (butterbars, a term to describe newbie officers, 2nd lieutenants), silver bars (1st Lt.), double silver bars (captains), gold leaf (major), silver leaf (Lt. Colonel,), eagle (Colonel). 

For Generals, remember "Be my little General". Brigadier (one star), Major (two), Lieutenant (three), and General (four). 



To be continued........ 




No comments:

Post a Comment