Friday, May 13, 2016

Crock Pot Beef Fajitas

I try to eat a lot of lean chicken/turkey but let's face it, sometimes that gets a little boring and ya need some BEEF!!!! This recipe cooks for a long time but it is actually very easy. I adapted this from a recipe I found in a crock pot cookbook. I always tweak things a little to make them fit my family and my cooking style.

You will need: 


  • Beef Roast - I used a 3 pound rump roast
  • One large onion, cut into half-rings
  • 1 to 2 tsp. Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning 
  • 1 to 2 tsp. Ground cumin
  • 1 to 2 tsp. Mexican chile powder
  • 1 tsp. salt or less if you like 
  • 1 jar of salsa - I used Newman's Own Mild
  • 3 bell peppers of different colors
  • Tortillas- corn or wheat. To save on carbs, you can also eat these like a naked burrito and not use tortillas at all
  • Fajita toppings of choice- low fat sour cream, light shredded cheese, avocado/guacamole, jalapenos, cilantro, etc.



First, cut the onion into slices and then half the rings. Put them in the bottom of the crock pot so that the roast will sit right on top. Add the rub to the roast and set it on top of the onions. Dump the entire jar of salsa on the roast and turn the crock pot to low. Let it cook 8-9 hours.





After the roast is cooked, carefully remove it from the crock put and shred it using forks or slice it into strips. If you can, trim off any visible fat and discard. Also, you may be able to skim fat out of the crock pot itself. The roast I chose was pretty lean, so there wasn't much to trim away or skim.

Add it back to the crock pot with the diced bell peppers.

Let cook on low for 1 more hour or until the peppers are soft. Time to eat!!! Put the beef mixture onto your tortilla with all your fixins' and enjoy!!!!



This is a new favorite in our household. My kids LOVED it!!!! Yay for kid-approved recipes! 







No comments:

Post a Comment