Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Navigating Military Medical Standards

For me, the absolute most-frustrating aspect of military entrance is medical. I have hypothyroidism, I had mild depression in high school and I apparently have an ovarian cyst that I didn't know about that was found by accident when I had had a scan when my gallbladder was taken out. They are TRYING to find anything wrong with you now, mostly because they don't want recruits who have serious medical issues that could effect training or deploying. I get that. I do. It still hurts though when you want something so bad and you might not get the chance because of things you cannot help. If you want it bad enough though, you owe it to yourself to try.

***DO NOT HIDE ANYTHING FROM MEPS ***

When you fill out your medical form in your recruiter's office, fill it out carefully and don't hide things. You will hear people say: "I hid this" or "I chose not to tell them about that", DO NOT DO THAT! For one thing, if they find out you were lying, you could face serious consequences. Furthermore, you are starting off your career with lies. In the Air Force, the core values are Integrity First, Service Before Self, Excellence in all we do. Honor those values and tell the truth. I know you want it badly. I truly get that. However, it isn't worth it to risk the consequences.

Navigating the Disqualifications 

If you receive a disqualification, DO NOT PANIC. It happens a lot and in many cases it is possible to get a waiver. Try to stay calm and patient and see what happens. My husband was "permanently disqualified from the Armed Forces" but then he ended up getting a waiver. A waiver is not ever guaranteed and depends greatly on your overall healthy and the specifics of your condition, but don't give up until you've been officially and completely disqualified.

Also, don't ask random forums on the internet. I have seen questions asked where answers I know are wrong are given. The thing is, people mean well and they're telling you how it was for them. They mean well, but the military standards are constantly changing so how it was for them may no longer be the case. Also, it goes without saying, but anyone can hop on the internet and pretend to be qualified but the reality is that you have no idea who people really are. Again, all you can do is try and hope for the best.

Here is a document that will help you navigate some of the DoD criteria for military entrance.

Medical Standards (DoD)

Being Disqualified and Getting a Waiver 

If you get a disqualification, it will likely get sent up to the Surgeon General if your  condition is waiverable. There are some conditions that are not waiverable but many are. I know how hard it is. I'm right there, waiting for my waiver as I type this. It pulls at my heart strings. I REALLY want to serve and my fate is sitting on someone's desk somewhere.

It can take a long time to get a waiver. Be patient. Don't pester your recruiter because he/she cannot expedite the process. Try to stay busy. Study for what you need to know at BMT. Work on fitness. For now, just assume you're going to get in and keep preparing.

If you get that fated letter that says you are disqualified permanently, remember that there are so many other amazing things you can do with your life. I want to tell you right now, Thank YOU for trying. Seriously, I am grateful that you tried, and grateful that you wished to serve. I'm also sorry if you get disqualified. Truly. As I wait for my waiver, my heart is on pins and needles because I want this SO BAD. I know life isn't over if it doesn't come back in my favor, but I will be extremely disappointed.


Here is a photo of my husband swearing in after receiving an initial disqualification. Don't give up hope. I sincerely hope you are able to enlist!!! (He's the one in light gray)




No comments:

Post a Comment