Monday, June 6, 2016

MEPS Psychological Consultation

If you google "MEPS consult" or "MEPS Psych eval" you're bound to come up with posts that will freak you the heck out. I am writing this post to assure you that not all consults end unhappily. I read somewhere that if they bother to give you a consult that they are paying for, it is because they see some hope in your situation. If they were absolutely sure you were doomed, they wouldn't spend the money to give you a consult!!! You simply cannot know until you go to your consult and find out. Just take a deep breath and go in positive.

Anyway, I was ordered to have a psych eval because I had mild depression in High School. I only had an Rx (zoloft) for 3 months, and then stopped taking it. I never had a relapse and never needed to be treated again for depression.

MEPS wasn't satisfied with that, and therefore ordered the consult. As frustrating as the medical process can be, try to remember that there are reasons that certain conditions can disqualify you. It's either because it would hinder you from deploying or because you cannot be treated while deployed, or a combination of both. Ultimately, they are looking out for your safety and they are also trying to recruit healthy people. They invest a LOT of money into training you, and why would they do that if you can't even do what they train you to do? I know, easier said than done. It still tugs at my heartstrings because I want this SO bad.

Arrival at MEPS



First off, I have some suggestions for what to bring to a Consult, regardless of what type. (Consults can be for all sorts of situations, skin, bones, psych, etc.). Please be sure you get adequate rest beforehand since it might be a long day and make sure you eat breakfast. All the same MEPS rules apply! Wear nice jeans and/or khakis, close-toed shoes, stud earrings (for girls only), and no crazy hair colors, piercings other than one set in your ear lobe, no offensive shirts, etc. Here is what I chose to wear.




I also recommend asking your branch liason what to do in case you need to contact them during your consult. Your driver will drop you off and you are on your own!

  • 2 forms of ID- I brought more than that, I had my driver's license, my dependent ID, my birth cert. and my social security card, I carry the first two always and the other two I had just to be safe 
  • Your cell phone- unlike a normal day at MEPS, you will need your cell phone. Be sure it is 100% charged because you will need to call your driver to come get you when you are done with your appointment 
  • Bottled water- if your day is as long as mine... you'll want it. 


I had to be at MEPS nearly two hours before my appointment. I arrived at 8:30 and my appointment was at 10:30 off post with a civilian psychologist.

I checked in to the desk, and the people at the desk were friendly this time. I guess when you're not there in the wee hours with all the shippers, they mellow out or something. I checked in with medical, got a consult folder made, and checked out of MEPS and in with the driver. There was one other person with a consult that was riding with me.

PLEASE for the love of all that is good in this world, DO NOT ask fellow applicants what their consult is for. It could be private and it just isn't good manners. The applicant in the car with me flat out asked me what my appointment was for before even introducing herself or asking what my name was. It was just really awkward because telling someone I don't know at all that I need to have a psych eval is just pretty embarrassing.

Arrival at Consult Appointment 

I was dropped off at 9:00am, a full hour and 35 minutes before my appointment time. Not only was I dropped off early, but I got the feeling throughout the day that I was low priority. Every single person that arrived, including those AFTER my appt. time were seen before me. I waited until about 11:30 to be seen. I tell you this because I want you to be prepared to wait a very long time. I read a book I had downloaded to my phone while I was waiting.

Finally, the doctor called me in. At first I was a little nervous. He seemed to have sort of a cold personality at first. He asked me some basic medical questions and then he asked about my home life and my marriage. He didn't ask anything super detailed, just "Do you feel safe" and "How would you describe your marriage".

Next he asked about the depression. I was just honest. I answered every question simple, answering only what he asked without babbling on and on. He seemed satisfied with my answers. I told him I was "diagnosed" by a general practitioner at a medical clinic, not by a psychologist. He seemed disgruntled with this and he said that while doctors in clinics are great for common illnesses, they shouldn't try to diagnose and treat mental health conditions, especially in teenagers. He said he believed by what I had told him that I probably would have been ok just seeing a counselor.

He finished up by saying, "I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to enlist. As far as I'm concerned, you have completely overcome depression. I think you're good to go, at least as far as I'm concerned!" Phew. Thank goodness. That is very good news. However, he doesn't have the final say. I believe from all that I've been told and read that MEPS and/or the SG are the ones to make the final determination based on what the doctor says. *Fingers Crossed*

They handed me my consult folder back with a sealed envelope inside and I called my driver to let him know I was done. He came to get me about 30 minutes later. This should go without saying, but DO NOT OPEN THE ENVELOPE.

Labs Done for MEPS- Post Hospital 

I had another "consult" to have labs done at the hospital on post. This was a NIGHTMARE. It wouldn't have been a big deal, except that the receptionists who were messing with the papers in my consult folder sealed up the wrong paper, which had my lab order on it. I didn't know this until I was at a completely different location trying to get my labs done. The lady at the lab desk asked me to open the sealed envelope and I politely explained that I could not open it because it would void the consult I just had.  She said the lab wasn't in the system and neither was I.

After that, I was sent to DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) to be put into the hospital computer system. Every different medical facility has their own DEERS database and you have to be added to be seen there. It had just been so long since I had to do it that I had forgotten. I got added into the system. I just have to say.... the guy who added me had the longest fingernails I've ever seen on a man, let alone military personnel in uniform. I could NOT believe no one had told him to cut those suckers. I know.... totally relevant, right? I had to share my pain. You're welcome.

Anyway, MEPS had the labs faxed back over, and I had my labs drawn. This all happened about 2 hours after my arrival. I called my driver and was again good to go.

I was driven back to MEPS, turned in my consult folder and then my Air Force Liason gave me a brown bag lunch (It was almost 3pm and I was elated to have a lunch waiting for me!!!) and then she sent me off on my way.

It was a very, VERY long day, and I'm glad it is behind me! It's not as bad as I thought it would be though!

I hope that is helpful. Please feel free to ask me questions. I cannot promise I'll know the answer but I'll do my best to point you in the right direction!



No comments:

Post a Comment