Friday, April 1, 2016

Haters Gonna Hate.



Fear is something we all have and it is often the only thing holding us back from our true potential. That fear becomes more nagging when we have people's doubts whispering in our ears that "we can't". This post is all about shutting out the haters.

I battle fear a little bit every day; fear of what others think of me, fear of failure, fear of proving to myself that my fears were right.

6 years ago, I hadn't even run a 5K before. Heck, I struggled to run around the block. I weighed 170 pounds when I started. I was considered obese, I got out of breath walking up a flight of stairs, I was a MESS. If I had a crystal ball and told anyone that 6 years later, I'd march 26.2 miles through dust and sand, someone would have rolled their eyes.

When I signed up for my first half-marathon, I remember telling someone I know who is a fitness professional. I remember she gave me a very obviously skeptical expression followed by, "Oh... that's a very long distance". It stung, because I expected her to praise me and say, "You go girl, you can do it!" because that's what I'd say to anyone ballsy enough to commit to a new goal. I had to get over that though. I don't need anyone else's permission or approval for my own goals.

Several months later, despite my child having major reconstructive surgery, my husband being hospitalized for a severe bleeding ulcer, and despite my own gallbladder surgery; I crossed that finish line. I had every excuse to throw in the towel and stop training but I was determined to do this. I did it! Despite a personal trainer telling me I couldn't, I proved that I could. Who's laughing now? :)




Same goes with the Bataan. I know people who kind of looked at me like I was crazy. People said, "Oh, I could NEVER do that. No thanks". Ok, it's none of my business if you decide to refuse to try things because you've convinced yourself it's impossible, but if we're going to be honest here..... It IS possible. Other people do it. I did it and I was rewarded with realizing all over again that I can do whatever I put my mind to.

One thing recently that has been extremely difficult for me is "coming out" to the world about wanting to join the military. I thankfully have many supporters and loved ones who believe in me and push me forward. I do, however, have a few doubters. Admitting this giant, potentially impossible goal (because I need medical clearance) to the world made me feel very vulnerable but I was tired of keeping it a secret. I was ready to own it, despite any judgement I may face. I am proud of my choice to try to enlist. I'm admittedly afraid of being disqualified both because a very important dream will die and the doubters will have the opportunity to say, "I told you so". Despite that possibility, I move forward and I will keep doing so until forced to take another path.

The takeaway is that people are going to doubt you. They are going to make comments. They are going to roll their eyes. Not everyone, but some. You have to realize that it says more about them than it says about you. No one else has the power to decide what you are capable of. You are the only one with that power.  

Dream big, and don't let the mediocrity of others slow you down or dull your shine. It sounds a little uppity and a little narcissistic but it is ESSENTIAL that you believe you are capable of living your dreams and being the person you were meant to be. Other people settle, but it doesn't mean you have to.

Don't settle. Don't give up. Don't let that nagging voices drag you down. Keep going. When you fail, find another way. Never stop getting back up. Overcome. Do all the things on your bucket list. Be exactly who you envision yourself to be. Surround yourself with the people that believe in you and ignore the people who don't.

Life is way too short to live according to other people's comfort zones. Bust out of the mold and be unapologetically you.





No comments:

Post a Comment