Saturday, March 19, 2016

Gluten Free Rainbow Cake Batter Pancakes

This is my own recipe that I've adapted over the past year or so, and I'm always working on improving it. However, I have to share because it is delicious, filling, packed with protein and gluten free. :) We don't make them super often, normally I go for something lower in carbs. Eggs tend to be my breakfast staple. However, sometimes you just need a delicious, cakey pancake to kill the craving.





2 cups white rice flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 eggs
6 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
a couple of pinches of salt (omit if using salted butter)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 scoops of your favorite vanilla protein powder
2 1/2 cups milk (plus more if it seems too thick)

Mix all of the dry ingredients first and then add the wet ingredients. Even when it is mixed well it will seem a little thick and lumpy. I love my pancakes thick and cakey, so this is perfect for me. Get the pan ready and put a little olive oil (we use a sprayer that sprays a very fine amount) in the pan and turn it up to medium or low heat.

I use a 1/4 measuring cup to put them in the pan. Because these are so thick, they are easier to manage if you keep them on the smaller side, around 3-4 inches in diameter. After you pour it into the pan, pour some sprinkles on. It will not set up like "normal" pancakes, with the bubbles, etc. on the top so watch instead for how shiny it is. As it cooks, it will get less shiny and the edges will set up really well. Then it should be ready to flip.

I don't time them, I just watch how they cook. This is a BIG batch of pancakes, but I like that there is plenty for my hungry family. I have 2 boys and a husband, so they can eat a LOT!!!!

I actually don't use syrup (yup, I eat my pancakes plain) because it's too much sweetness for me. My husband and kids love using honey or pure maple syrup. Just be careful if you're new to eating gluten free, the store bought table syrups (anything that isn't pure maple syrup) usually have gluten in them.

Happy Saturday! I hope you have a beautiful weekend!





No comments:

Post a Comment