Friday, November 25, 2016

Taking the DLAB- Defense Language Aptitude Battery

On Wednesday, I swore in to the DEP program for the US Air Force. I can't even put into words what this meant for me. I intend to do a post about my experience at MEPS and my "Medical Inspect". However, this post is going to be more about how I've been encouraged to take the DLAB to see if I qualify to be a  cryptologic linguist.

Now, on to prepping. Some people say, "There is no way to study, just go and do your best".

Well..... I don't buy that because I'm me and there is ALWAYS a way to prepare for things. There has to be SOMETHING I can do to prepare. I found a video someone made with her suggestions and resources for doing well.


I've also had several people suggest studying the parts of sentences and sentence structure; predicate, subject, clause, phrase, modifer, etc. I found a few websites by googling and started taking notes because that's the best way for me to remember something is if I write it down. 


I will be soaking up all the resources I can google and working hard to do as well as I possibly can. Its really important to me to do my best, even if I'm on the fence a bit still.

Cryptologic Linguist would be an incredibly interesting field, I would love to learn a new language but it is also a very intense field with a very long tech school with a high washout rate. Yes, it would be hard, but I've never been one to shy away because of odds or because something is hard. However, I have to look past all of that and learn what I can so I know if I'd like this job long term.

For now, I'm going to study English grammar and sentence structure and do my best!!! Following the test, I will probably not make another post about the DLAB because I don't want to risk compromising the test or the types of questions on it and get into trouble for doing so. My advice up front is to do what I'm doing and study grammar. It's been a LONG time since I've had to study grammar and while I read a ton and have very good grammar, I don't remember the rules or the names of the main components of a sentence. I have some work to do! 

 Best of luck to you if you're also taking the DLAB! 







No comments:

Post a Comment